Teaching the Databases topic to an A-level class, I have made these tasks and suggested solutions in REPL.it.
- First teach the basics of SQL e.g. using Craig n Dave’s video here: OCR A-level SQL
- Check for understanding of the basics e.g. by asking a few basic SQL query questions, using a quick quiz like this: W3Schools SQL Quiz or better still, use the premium resources from Craig n Dave that are intended to follow the above video lesson.
- Share the skeleton code here repl.it/@mraharrison/sqlite1 with the students. Explain the code. (Needs you to be familiar with it, so read through it and try it out first!).
- Optionally walk through the first one or two problems and code the solution live with them.
- Assign as homework, or continue as a lesson, whatever you are more comfortable with.
- Use the suggested solutions here when stuck, or share this with the students after they have attempted the problems. repl.it/@mraharrison/sqlite1-solutions-1
Feedback welcome on Twitter or in the comments. Thanks.
One reply on “SQL Practical for A-level CS”
Thank-you so much. An extremely useful and well thought through set of activities.